Summer Family Vacation
1 Beach House in a desirable location proven to delight with a variety of activities.
12 Family Members, mixed ages
6 Parking Spots, off-street
Foodstuffs, preferably ones with high sugar, fat, and salt content.
Alcohol, all varieties in season
Assorted Umbrellas, Beach Chairs, Towels, Coolers, Sunscreen, Aloe, Flip-flops, Sunglasses, Puzzles, Movies, Music, Games, Reading Material, and Electronic Devices as desired.
1. Check rental agreement for adequate beds, baths, linens, and A/C or screened-in-porches before preparing your family vacation. Dirty and wilted family members do not mix well.
2. Travel to beach house. Preset puzzles, movies, music, games, reading material and electronic devices in gathering spaces.
3. Thoroughly stock fridge and arrange foodstuffs on kitchen counters.
4. On their arrival, spread family members evenly throughout beach house.
5. Fill family members with food and drink to taste.
6. As the sun rises towards high noon every morning, watch for family members to depart in small groups for the edges of the sandy shores.
7. As the sun sets, watch as family members return to the beach house, evenly browned. If skin is more red than brown, blanche in cold aloe.
8. Fold in food and drink as needed.
9. As the week progresses, listen for the sound of laughter bubbling up.
10. Enjoy fantastic memories for years to come.
Chef’s note: If you notice poor attitude or stressful, elevated voices for sustained amounts of time, limit the amount of those family members in the next family vacation you prepare. Everything in moderation. Except good vacations.
13 Comments Add yours
What a clever and fun post! I would love to try this recipe!
Thanks! And let me know if you make any substitutions with your version, ha.
The perfect summer post. Thanks!
Great, glad you enjoyed reading it. It was fun to write it.
I wander if this recipe would also work in winter if we swapped the beach house for one in the snow hahaha
A ski chalet, perhaps?
Sounds like a wonderful plan. With my family separate hotel rooms are the way to peace and happiness! The beach is neutral ground. It makes for a fantastic vacation … at least for me! 🙂
Families have different tastes, one size doesn’t always fit all!
The older I get the more I am putting forth the effort to spend time with family. Even some of the more “difficult” members of the family.
Time is precious.
So envious! Where was the beach house?
My family goes to the beach in Southern Delaware every year. It’s a treat.
Aha! I figured it was the East Coast from your references to sunrise and sunset. We have many happy memories of beach houses in North Carolina. Wish we were there right now…sigh.